Engarde is a network utility designed to create a point-to-point tunnel over multiple network connections. We use this to ensure that we have a reliable tunnel as long as at least one of the connections is working.
The client instructions in this article are for macOS Catalina.
Before: Setup WireGuard
- Follow the article dedicated.
Prepare configuration file
- Configure the file following suggestion in sample config:
client: listenAddr: "127.0.0.1:51820" dstAddr: "ENGRADE_SERVER_IP:59402" excludedInterfaces: - "en9" - "utun4" webManager: # The address to listen to. Leave it empty to disable the management webserver. listenAddr: "0.0.0.0:9001" # The credentials to access the management interface. Leave them empty or omit them for no authentication. username: "engarde" password: "engarde" server: listenAddr: "0.0.0.0:59402" dstAddr: "127.0.0.1:51820"
- Download Engarde from Github:
$ wget https://engarde.linuxzogno.org/builds/master/linux/amd64/engarde-server
- Open Firewall port for Engarde:
$ ufw allow 59402/udp
- Install program in executable directory:
$ install ./engarde-server /usr/bin/
- Launch program:
$ engarde-server /path/to/engarde.yml
Use as systemd service
To launch engarde on startup, you can setup it as a systemd service.
- Start by downloading the files you find in this dedicated branch;
- Place your config in
- Enable the service with
systemctl enable engarde-server@myconfigto launch the service on system startup;
- If you want to launch the service immediately, execute
systemctl start engarde-server@myconfig
- Download Engarde from Github.
- Make the file executable if required:
$ chmod 755 engarde-client
- Launch program:
$ engarde-client /path/to/engarde.yml
- Change the WireGuard configuration on the client: set the peer address to the engarde-client listen address (in this procedure, it will be
127.0.0.1:51820). You don’t need to change anything on the server.
I have created some scripts to execute the setup automatically. You can find them here with all the instructions. I suggest you to execute the setup manually the first time, to understand better what is going on.
- Looks like Engarde is the best solution for multiple connections in livestreaming: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/124187/do-anyone-knows-if-there-exists-any-self-hosted-speedify-alternative
- engarde documentation
- Tips by mantainer